[R] Postscript output encoding on Windows

Jamie Lawrence jel03r at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Jun 9 17:16:56 CEST 2006

With R 2.3.1 on Windows, I've noticed that it defaults to the
"WinAsci.enc" encoding, which throws up an error when viewed with the
default install of GhostScript/GSView (versions 8.51/4.7 respectively).
I didn't have this problem prior to upgrading to 2.3.1 as I can view all
my old PS graphs and they don't have the WinAsci encoding.  I've got
around this problem by adding encoding="CP1251.enc" to the postscript
call but it seems a little bizarre that the default WinAsci wasn't
working.

Any ideas what the problem might be?  A problem with Ghostscript, a bug
in R, or something strange about my installation (there shouldn't be)??
Should WinAsci be the default?

Thanks,

    Jamie