[R] nested mixed-effect model: variance components

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sat Jun 10 20:24:10 CEST 2006

<see inline>

Eric Pante wrote:
 > Hi Spencer,
 >
 > First, thank you very much for taking the time to write this detailed
 > reply !
 > I did try exactly the formula you suggested:
 >
 >       fit <- lme(fixed=COVER ~ HABITAT, random = ~1|LAGOON/HABITAT,
 > data=cov)
 >
 > before writing my post, and indeed, neither summary() or anova()
 > returned the sums of squares to assess variance components.

	  Do you want sums of squares or estimates of variance components?  I
believe that for over half a century, there is been a substantial
consensus among leading experts in statistical methods that maximum
likelihood (or Bayesian posterior where an adequate prior exists) is
theoretically the best method for most statistical questions.   With
mixed effects, this is interpreted as requiring the maximization of the
marginal likelihood (often after integrating out fixed effects to obtain
the "restricted likelihood" maximized with method = "REML").

	  However, until the last couple of decades, ML or REML was not
computationally feasible for many cases lacking balance.  This led to an
extensive literature on alternative methods like MINQUE.  These methods
are now substantially obsolete as far as I know except in cases with
appropriate balance where they produce exactly the same answers as ML or
REML.

	  If you want estimates of the variance components, then use 'lme':
With appropriately balanced data sets, these would be exactly what you
would get by writing out the expected mean squares and solving for the
variance components.  Where the balance is lacking, the other methods
will generally produce less efficient estimates of what you really want.
  If you want sums of squares for testing, do your testing as described
in Pinheiro and Bates.  Except in the saturated case I mentioned, you
should get identical or superior estimates from lme and lmer than from
aov.

	  If you want sums of squares for something other than an intermediate
step for estimation or testing, please explain.

	  Be careful what you ask for, because you might get it -- and it might
not be what you want.

 > how do you specify in the formula that you want a nested approach (I
 > will check the Pinheiro and Bates book) ? For these two reasons, I had
 > the feeling that aov might be the way to go ...

	  I understood you to say that you thought habitat should be nested
within lagoon, but you also want to know "how much variation is due to
lagoons? habitats? lagoons*habitat?".  That sounds to me like you want
to know how to clean the spark plugs on your bicycle.

	  Have you studied the "Oats" example in my post?  (See also
"http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02a/archive/63788.html".)

	  Bon Chance!
	  J’espère que ceci vous aide.
	  Spencer Graves