[R] seemingly simple read.table question

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 04:56:00 CEST 2006

Try this (which reads in the lines, replaces commas with spaces
and then rereads it as a data frame using column 1 as the rows:

read.table(textConnection(chartr(",", " ", readLines("myfile.dat"))),
row = 1, as.is = TRUE)

I assume you want character data, not factors, but if you want factors
remove the as.is = TRUE.