[R] R usage for log analysis

bogdan romocea br44114 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 16:38:04 CEST 2006

I wouldn't use a DBMS at all -- it is not necessary and I don't see
what you would get in return. Instead I would split very large log
files into a number of pieces so that each piece fits in memory (see
below for an example), then process them in a loop. See the list and
the documentation if you have questions about how to read text files,
count strings etc.

#---split big files in two---
for F in `ls *log`
do
  fn=`echo $F | awk -F\. '{print $1}'`
  ln=`wc -l $F | awk '{print $1}'`  #number of lines in the file
  forsplit=`expr $ln / 2 + 50`  #no. of lines in each chunk, tweak as needed
  echo Splitting $F into pieces of $forsplit lines each........
  split -l $forsplit $F $fn
done