[R] R usage for log analysis

Duncan Temple Lang duncan at wald.ucdavis.edu
Mon Jun 12 18:34:12 CEST 2006

Using Perl or R shouldn't be an either/or issue.
We can call Perl code from R (via RSPerl at least)
and then we get the benefit of well tested, fast code
that might exist in Perl to read the log files
and the ability to do interactive, exploratory analysis in R.
And reading the file in Perl does give a significant reduction
in compute time and memory.

When I do this I put the logs into a database, but I use a
one-line Perl script to get them into the appropriate format.