[R] fclustIndex(package e1071) error: LaPack Routine dgesv

Christopher Bail bail at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Jun 14 15:59:38 CEST 2006

Dear colleagues:

Despite my best efforts, I have not been able to understand/overcome
an error message I received while running the fclustIndex command in
package e1071, which produces validity measures for the fuzzy c-means
clustering algorithm.  I am relatively new to R-- and still depend
heavily on Rcmdr-- and so I apologize in advance if there is an
obvious answer to my question:

My code is as follows:

library(e1071)
Dataset <- read.dta("/Users/chris/Desktop/Fuzzy Cluster.dta",
convert.dates=TRUE, convert.factors=TRUE, missing.type=TRUE,
convert.underscore=TRUE, warn.missing.labels=TRUE)
row.names(Dataset) <- as.character(Dataset$cntry)
Dataset$cntry <- NULL
cl <- cmeans(Dataset, 4, 20, verbose=TRUE, method="cmeans")
resultindexes <- fclustIndex(cl, Dataset, index= "all")
resultindexes

I am receiving the following error message:

ERROR:  Lapack routine dgesv

I have tried running the example for fclustIndex and it works fine.
The code above is based on the example from the manual (below).  I
also checked that I have the latest version installed.  I have also
had no trouble running similar commands from other packages which
leads me to believe that everything is installed/compiled properly--
where have I gone wrong?

The description of fclustIndex in the e1071 .pdf is available via the
following link:

http://rweb.stat.umn.edu/R/library/e1071/html/fclustIndex.html

I thank you in advance for your time and help.

Sincerely,
Christopher Bail