[R] y-axis label location relative to tick label width?

ivo welch ivowel at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 17:27:19 CEST 2006

Dear R experts:  I have an odd question:  would it be better to
calculate the location of the axis label relative to the furthest
protruding tick label?  the background is that I have my y-tick labels
oriented horizontally rather than vertically.  if R chooses to set a
tick mark at "2", the y label should be relatively close to the axis.
if R chooses to put 1.998, it should sit farther (because otherwise
the "1" may touch the y label).  possible?  regards,  /ivo