[R] Repost: Estimation when interaction is present: How do I get get the parameters from nlme?

Martin Henry H. Stevens HStevens at MUOhio.edu
Thu Jun 15 18:05:40 CEST 2006

Hi John,
I think a solution is to
1. recode A and B as a single factor, AB, with four levels,
2. define each fixed effect as a function of  AB minus the intercept
(e.g.  ed50 ~ as.factor(AB)-1).
3. extract the tTable as a data.frame with  summary(model)$tTable.

I will be interested to see what other folks suggest.
Cheers,
Hank

  and then run the Probably not the best, nor the worst solution,
might be to recode A and B
On Jun 15, 2006, at 11:36 AM, John S. Walker wrote:

> Gday,
>
> This is a repost since I only had one direct reply and I remain
> mystified- This
> may be stupidity on my part but it may not be so simple.
>

> In brief, my problem is I'm not sure how to extract parameter
> values/effect sizes from a nonlinear
> regression model with a significant interaction term.
>
> My data sets are dose response curves (force and dose) for muscle that
> also have two treatments applied
> Treatment A (A- or A+) and Treatment B (B-/B+). A single muscle was
> used for each experiment - a full dose response curve and one
> treatment
> from the matrix A*B (A-/B-, A+/B-, A-/B+ and A+,B+). There are 8
> replicates for each combination of treatments
> We fit a dose response curve to each experiment with parameters upper,
> ed50 and slope; we expect treatment A to change upper and ed50. We
> want
> to know if treatment B blocks the effect of treatment A and if so to
> what degree.
> This is similar to the Ludbrook example in Venables and Ripley,
> however
> they only had one treatment and I have two.
>
> my approach
>
> The dataframe is structured like this:
> expt 	treatA 	treatB 	dose 	force.
> 1	-		-		0.1		20
> 1	-		-		0.2		40
> 4	+		+		0.1		20
> 4	+
>
> I used a groupedData object:  mydata=groupedData(force ~ dose | expt)
>
> I used an nlme obect to model the data as follows (pseudocode):
>
> myfit.nlme <- nlme(force ~ ss_tpl(dose, upper, ed50,slope),
> fixed=list(ed50~factor(treatA)*factor(treatB)))
>

> The function ss_tpl  is a properly debugged and fully functional
> selfstarting three parameter logistic function that I wrote- no
> problem
> here. In my analysis
> I also included fixed terms for the other fit parameters; upper and
> slope, but my main problem  is with  the
> ed50 so that's all I've included here.
>
> Running an anova on the resulting object (anova(myfit.nlme) I found
> the
> A -/B- (control) to
> be significantly different from zero, treatment A was significantly
> different, treatment B had no significant
> effect  and there was a significant interaction between treatment A
> and
> treatment B.
>
> The interaction term is likely to be real. The treatments are on
> sequential steps in a pathway and treatment B may be blocking the
> effect of treatment A, i.e. treatment B alone has no effect because it
> blocks a pathway that is not active, treatment A reduces force via
> this
> pathway and treament B therefore blocks the effect of treatment A when
> used together.
>
>  From what I understand, please correct me if I'm wrong, the parameter
> [...]

Dr. M. Hank H. Stevens, Assistant Professor
338 Pearson Hall
Botany Department
Miami University
Oxford, OH 45056