[R] function call

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 13:54:14 CEST 2006

Perhaps you what you want to do is to return an object
that has a print method like this:

f1 <- function(x) structure(c(x, x^2), class = "f1")
print.f1 <- function(x) cat("x is", x[1], "x squared is", x[2], "\n")

Now you could do this:

f1(3)  # gives fancy output
y <- f1(3) # returns structure
unclass(y) # y, not as an "f1" class object

The point is that print.f1 could return something which is different
than the output of f1.