[R] help on nlm (gradient) (fwd)

Luz Maria Palacios Derflingher palacios at math.ucalgary.ca
Mon Jun 19 16:28:16 CEST 2006

Hello

No worries anymore. Figured it out.

Thanks for everything.

Luz

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 23:12:25 -0600 (MDT)
From: Luz Maria Palacios Derflingher <palacios at math.ucalgary.ca>
To: r-help at lists.R-project.org
Cc: r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch.
Subject: help on nlm (gradient)

Hello.

I am having some trouble using nlm in R for windows version 2.2.1. I have to
minimise a function which includes in its insides the evaluation of
integrals through the "adapt" function.
In order to make R work less, I calculated the gradient and coded it. I made
sure that the code and function for the gradient worked.
So I know that the main function (the one to minimise,let's call it "func1")
yields values when evaluated.
I know that the gradient I coded also works and yields values when evaluated
(on its own); when I put it all together and use nlm I get the following
message:

Error in nlm(func1, starting values,  :
         probable coding error in analytic gradient

Any light that can be shed on this would be highly appreciated.
Many thanks

Luz Palacios
PhD Candidate University of Calgary