[R] Fitting Distributions Directly From a Histogram

Myers, Brent MyersDB at missouri.edu
Mon Jun 19 16:41:15 CEST 2006

I'm desperately uninformed about the methods you have been discussing, but for a non-parametric solution, how about splines?

Carl DeBoor (1978) outlines a method of area preserving quadratic splines to fit histograms. All you need to know is the value each bar represents and its interval. I am currently implementing this in S-Plus. This method is included in the spline toolbox for Matlab, which DeBoor authored.