[R] lmer and mixed effects logistic regression

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Wed Jun 21 17:35:15 CEST 2006

	  You could think of 'lmer(..., family=binomial)' as doing a separate
"glm" fit for each subject, with some shrinkage provided by the assumed
distribution of the random effect parameters for each subject.  Since
your data are constant within subject, the intercept in your model
without the subject's random effect distribution will be estimated at
+/-Inf.  Since this occurs for all subjects, the maximum likelihood
estimate of the subject variance is Inf, which is what I wrote in an
earlier contribution to this thread.

	  What kind of answer do you get from SAS NLMIXED?  If it does NOT tell
you that there is something strange about the estimation problem you've
given it, I would call that a serious infelicity in the code.  If it is
documented behavior, some might argue that it doesn't deserve the "B"
word ("Bug").  The warning messages issued by 'lmer' in this case are
something I think users would want, even if they are cryptic.

	  Hope this helps.
	  Spencer Graves