[R] Nested variance-covariance matrix in Multilevel model

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Fri Jun 23 05:22:03 CEST 2006

	  What's your error message?  I see a syntax error in

random=list(Probe=pdBlocked(list(~1,pdCompSymm(~1
),End=~1,ProbeNo=pdCompSymm(~1))

	  I count 5 open parens and 3 close parens.  I know that might have
been part of what you copied into this email and not what you gave R.
However, it sounds like you have several problems.

	  Have you seen Pinheiro and Bates (2000) Mixed-effects models in S and
S-PLUS (Springer)?  This is the premier (almost mandatory) reference for
'lme'.  Moreover, the "~\library\nlme\scripts" subdirectory of the R
installation directory (at least under Windows) contains files "ch01.R",
"ch02.R", ..., "ch06.R", "ch08.R" containing essentially all the S
commands used in the book, organized by chapter.  This can save endless
hassles with spelling problems (and minor syntax differences between
S-Plus and R).  Sections 1.5 and 1.6, pp. 40-72, discuss analyses if two
different nested experiments.

	  If just want a standard nested analysis, this should be adequate.  If
you have other special things happening that I missed in skimming your
email, please explain why the analyses described in Pinheiro and Bates
do you apply.  In doing so, please include a simple, self-contained
example showing what you tried and why you think it's not adequate.
Please don't send us a megabyte of data.  Instead, please either (a)
modify an example from the book or some other R documentation  or (b)
generate phony data with a very few lines of R code.

	  Hope this helps.
	  Spencer Graves

Tobias Guennel wrote:
 > I completely forgot to supply the R code I tried:

vov1i2<-read.table("VOV1_INHIBITED6-16-2006-13h35min33sec.txt",header=TRUE)

test.lme<-lme(fixed=log2(Intensity)~End+logpgc,random=list(Probe=pdBlocked(list(~1,pdCompSymm(~1