[R] command line boa problems...

Evan Cooch cooch17 at verizon.net
Fri Jun 23 15:35:25 CEST 2006

Greetings -

For a number of reasons, I'm moving from CODA to BOA - and I have one or
two really basic, boa-newbie questions. While I have the 'menu-driven'
version of boa working fine (most recent version, running under R 2.3.1
on a Windows machine), for the life of me I can't seem to get some basic
boa.xxxx command-line functions to work at all. Even things like
boa.version() or boa.license() return errors. But, boa.init() and other
functions seem to work fine.

At this stage, I'd be happy getting the first - fairly key - function to
work - boa.importASCII. My MCMC sample data are in a flat ASCII file
(white-space delimited), called practice.txt. There are two columns in
the file (iteration number, parameter value), both labeled in the first
row of the file (as per instructions in the boa documentation). I know
the file is formatted OK, because I can import and play with it
successfully using the boa.menu() approach. But, for some reason,
boa.importASCII won't touch it.

Suppose the file is on my desktop (remember, windows machine)

I've tried all the variuous front-slash, back-slash, double-slash etc.
combinations I can think of...

boa.importASCII(practice,"c:\documents and settings\eg7\desktop")

boa.importASCII(practice,"c:\\documents and settings\\eg7\\desktop")

boa.importASCII(practice,"c:/documents and settings/eg7/desktop")

boa.importASCII(practice,path="c:/documents and settings/eg7/desktop")

boa.importASCII(practice,path="c:\\documents and settings\\eg7\\desktop")

and so on...and so on...in each case, boa.importASCII reports that

Error in paste(prefix, boa.par("ASCIIext"), sep = "") :
       object "practice" not found

or something to that effect - basically, practice.txt isn't being found.

Help!

Thanks!