[R] PowerPoint - eps not suitable

Michael H. Prager Mike.Prager at noaa.gov
Fri Jun 23 20:02:49 CEST 2006

format for quality reasons.  This is of course true when the output is
through a Postscript device.

However, the original poster is making presentations with PowerPoint.
Those essentially are projected from the screen -- and screens of
Windows PCs are NOT Postscript devices.  The version of PowerPoint I
have will display a bitmapped, low-resolution preview when EPS is
imported, and that is what will be projected.  It is passable, but much
better can be done!

In this application, I have had best results using cut and paste or the
Windows metafile format, both of which (as others have said) give
scalable vector graphics.  When quirks of Windows metafile arise (as
they can do, especially when fonts differ between PCs), I have had good
results with PNG for line art and JPG for other art.

Mike

--
Michael Prager, Ph.D.
Southeast Fisheries Science Center