[R] R connectivity to database

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 23 23:01:12 CEST 2006

You have not told us your platform nor version of OO (nor what
'it' is which 'says that R can connect to MS Access').  R can certainly
connect to MS Access on Windows via RODBC, which does come with Access
examples.

I think though that it is unrealistic to claim that Base is 'OOo's version
of MS Access': it seems to be a lot less than that even in version 2.0.
Base 2.0 comes with an HSQLDB DBMS, but Base is not itself a relational
DBMS as Access is.  Both R and Base can act as ODBC clients, which may
help if you use Base to store data in a fully-fledged RDBMS such as MySQL
or SQLite.