[R] Tetrachoric correlation in R vs. stata

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Sat Jun 24 00:30:03 CEST 2006

Janet Rosenbaum <jrosenba at rand.org> writes:

> Peter --- Thanks for pointing out the omitted information.  The
> hazards of attempting to be brief.
>
> In R, I am using polychor(vec1, vec2, std.err=T) and have used both
> the ML and 2 step estimates, which give virtually identical answers.
> I am explicitly using only the 632 complete cases in R to make sure
> missing data is handled the same way as in stata.
>
> Here's my data:
>
> 522	54
> 34	22
>
> > polychor(v1, v2, std.err=T, ML=T)
>
> Polychoric Correlation, ML est. = 0.5172 (0.08048)
> Test of bivariate normality: Chisquare = 8.063e-06, df = 0, p = NaN
>
>     Row Thresholds
>     Threshold Std.Err.
>   1     1.349  0.07042
>

>     Column Thresholds
>     Threshold Std.Err.
>   1     1.174  0.06458
>   Warning message:
>   NaNs produced in: pchisq(q, df, lower.tail, log.p)
>
> In stata, I get:
>
> . tetrachoric t1_v19a ct1_ix17
>
> Tetrachoric correlations (N=632)
>
> ----------------------------------
>      Variable |  t1_v19a  ct1_ix17
> -------------+--------------------
>       t1_v19a |        1
>      ct1_ix17 |    .6169         1
> ----------------------------------

Well,

> pmvnorm(c(1.349,1.174),c(Inf,Inf),
+    sigma=matrix(c(1,.5172,.5172,1),2))*632
[1] 22.00511
attr(,"error")
[1] 1e-15
attr(,"msg")
[1] "Normal Completion"
> pnorm(1.349)*632
[1] 575.9615
> pnorm(1.174)*632
[1] 556.0352

so the estimates from R appear to be consistent with the table. In
contrast, plugging in the .6169 from Stata gives

> pmvnorm(c(1.349,1.174),c(Inf,Inf),
+     sigma=matrix(c(1,.6169,.6169,1),2))*632
[1] 26.34487

You might want to follow up on

http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/faq/tetrac.htm