[R] analyze summary data

Thierry Girard thierry.girard at unibas.ch
Sun Jun 25 18:02:04 CEST 2006

Hello!

I would like to ask the list a question, as I could not find the
answer in online material as well as several books.

I do have summary data (mean, standard deviation and sample size n)
and want to analyze this data.
The summary data is supposed to be from a normal distribution.

I need the following calculations on this summary data (no, I do not
have the original data):

- one sample t-test against a known mu
- two sample t-test
- analysis of variance between 4 groups.

I would appreciate any help available.

One possible solution could be to simulate the data using rnorm with
the appropriate n, mu and sd, but I don't know if there would be a
more accurate solution.

thanks in advance

Thierry Girard
thierry.girard at unibas.ch

using Version 2.2.1  (2005-12-20 r36812) on a Mac OS X 10.4.6