[R] questions on local customized R distribution CD

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Jun 26 21:57:12 CEST 2006

On 6/26/2006 3:14 PM, Dongseok Choi wrote:
> Hello all!
>
>   I hope this is the right place to post this question.
>
>   The Oregon Chapter of ASA is working with local high school teachers as one of its outreaching program.
>   We hope to use and test R as teaching tools.
>   So, we think that a menu system (like R commander) with a few packages and a bit simplified installation instruction need to be developed.
>
>   The main question is:
> 1)
> Is it OK to develop a customized CD-ROM distribution of R  with pre-selected packages for high school?
> It will be distributed free, of course.
> Also, we plan to make it available from the chap web or deposit it to R-project, if requested.

Generally the answer is yes, but read the GPL for the conditions.  You
do need to make the source code available.

> 2)
>   If the customized distribution CD is OK, I also hope to get some technical help/advice from the core group members if any one is interested.

See the R Installation and Administration manual first.  It tells how to
build R installers with non-standard included packages.  Hopefully for
2.4.0 more customizations will be possible.

Duncan Murdoch