[R] Puzzled with contour()

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Jun 27 14:58:59 CEST 2006

On 6/27/2006 8:40 AM, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:

>>    Gabor> I think its often the case that one has 3 tuples and does not know
>>    Gabor> how to use contour with that; so, it would be nice if the contour
>>    Gabor> help page gave advice and an example and a pointer to the relevant
>>    Gabor> functions if it cannot be done by contour.
>>
>> Yes, but even more importantly,
>> what  help(contour) should really have is a \code{\link[lattice]{contourplot}}
>> since contourplot() from package 'lattice'
>> can deal well excellently with the situation Ajay has:

[ deletions ]

> Or perhaps contour should be extended so that it can handle triples
> giving the capability directly in base graphics.  I think that that is what
> many people really expect.

The problem here is that most users are happy enough with the akima or
contourplot implementations, so there isn't much motivation to spend
several hours doing the necessary work.  But if you want to contribute
this, please do.

Be careful about where you get the code: the interp implementation in
akima is not licensed freely enough to be included in R ("no commercial
use"). The one in lattice is GPL'd, so it should be fine.

Duncan Murdoch