[R] rotate text using mtext

Chuck Cleland ccleland at optonline.net
Tue Jun 27 21:22:28 CEST 2006

Rashmi Mathur wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wish to write a label to the right-hand side of a plot (side=4) using
> mtext, with the text facing inwards - that is, rotated 180 degrees from the
> default orientation.  How might I do this?  (I've tried experimenting with
> las but no luck.)

   Use text() instead.  I'm not sure how you want the label oriented,
but this should get you started:

df <- data.frame(cbind(1:10, 11:20))
names(df) <- c("y","x")

par(mar = c(7, 7, 7, 10))
plot(y ~ x, data = df, ylab = "", xlab = "independent")
text(par("usr")[2] + 0.25, 5.5, srt=-45, adj = 0, labels = "dependent",
xpd = TRUE)