[R] superimposing histograms con't [Broadcast]

Wiener, Matthew matthew_wiener at merck.com
Wed Jun 28 22:51:35 CEST 2006

I wrote some code to do this.  It only works with 2 groups (that's all I
needed), but could probably be generalized.  It got my graph made, and I
haven't needed a graph like this one again, so I never went back to really
clean it up.

It works by first plotting both sets of rectangles, then going back over the
ones that had the first bar totally covered by the second.

Hope this helps,

Matt Wiener

"f.back.front.hist" <-
function(breaks, x1, x2, col1 = "gray50", col2 = "white",
           lwd = diff(range(mids))/20,
           xlab = "", ylab = "",
           leg.text = NULL, ...){
    if(length(x1) != length(x2))
      stop("x1 and x2 must have same length")
    if(length(x1) != length(breaks) - 1)
      stop("length of breaks must be 1 more than length of x1 and x2")
    plot.lim <- c(0, max(c(x1, x2)))
    mids <- 0.5 * (breaks[-1] + breaks[-length(breaks)])
    plot(mids, pmax(x1, x2), col = par()$bg, lwd = lwd,
         ylim = plot.lim, xlab = xlab, ylab = ylab,
         cex.axis = 1.5, font.axis = 2, cex.lab = 1.5, font.lab = 2, ...)
    rect(breaks[-length(breaks)], 0, breaks[-1], x1, col = col1)
    rect(breaks[-length(breaks)], 0, breaks[-1], x2, col = col2)
    ind <- x1 < x2
    rect(breaks[-length(breaks)][ind], 0,
         breaks[-1][ind], x1[ind] ,col = col1)
    if(!is.null(leg.text))