[R] Building R: use the current version! {was " Running R"}

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Jun 29 09:09:23 CEST 2006

I'm not really answering your question, but if you install from
the sources -- always a useful experience in finding out if your
computer is well equipped with software --
*PLEASE* use the latest aka "current" version of R.
Currently, that's 2.3.1 and not 2.3.0.

A very reasonable alternative is also to work with R-patched
(i.e. 'R 2.3.1 patched' at the moment), since we (aim to) ensure
that R-patched only contains simple well tested bug fixes in
addition to the respective released version.

(Contrary to "R-devel" which always contains the current R
 development version with all potential new features and which
 is hence also designated 'unstable'.)

Martin Maechler,
ETH Zurich (and R-core)