[R] Help needed understanding eval,quote,expression

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jun 29 10:14:02 CEST 2006

You are missing eval(parse(text=)). E.g.

> x <- list(y=list(y1="hello",y2="world"),z=list(z1="foo",z2="bar"))
(what do you mean by the $ at the start of these lines?)
> eval(parse(text="x$y$y1"))
[1] "hello"

However, bear in mind

> fortune("parse")

If the answer is parse() you should usually rethink the question.
    -- Thomas Lumley
       R-help (February 2005)

In your indicated example you could probably use substitute() as
effectively.