[R] Problems using na.include

Greg Distiller gregd at stats.uct.ac.za
Thu Jun 29 15:39:37 CEST 2006

Hi
I am having problems using na.action=na.include in a nlme call. Basically I
am trying to run a particular model without including any covariates but my
dataset does include some covariates (factors) with missing values. My
understanding from the Pinheiro and Bates book is that one would use
na.action=na.include in order to treat the missing values as another factor
level and then one can also use naPattern to specify which rows must be
excluded from the calculation of the objective function.

I have tried this but keep getting error messages about being unable to find
the object or the function "na.include". I have also tried to replicate the
particular Phenobarbital example verbatim from the book but am getting the
same error message. Could it be that my version of the nlme package is
outdated? I also cannot find any help on na.include...

Thanks

Greg