[R] superimposing histograms con't

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Jun 29 17:42:51 CEST 2006

    Jeff> I was just thinking about this last night.
    Jeff> I would like to do the same but WITH overlapping.

    Jeff> For example, I graph 2 sets of count data. Say the
    Jeff> bars for the 1`s overlap...I would like to show that
    Jeff> with a different shading for the group that has the
    Jeff> higher frequency. For example, it could be black up to
    Jeff> a frequency of 5 followed by diagonal-dashes from 5-7
    Jeff> representing the higher frequency of a second group.

Just 5 minutes ago, I've posted a reply to Bill's message
containing R code which I think also solves the above problem.

Solving overlapping visually either by
  (old style) shading  or by
  (new style) transparent colors -- unfortunately only available
	      on pdf(version >= 1.4), png(), and quartz(), AFAIK.

Martin Maechler