[R] Internet Problem in R

Elizabeth Purdom epurdom at stanford.edu
Thu Jun 29 19:27:45 CEST 2006

Hi,

I have a student who's R seems to be unable to connect to the internet. I
have verified that her computer has internet access that's working fine,
but that R is not able to establish connections. For example, she cannot
download packages for R from the URL site, cannot source webpages, or
read.table from a webpage (all of these give errors of not being able to
establish a connection). Right now I have shown her how to manually
download the zip file for the package and install it from the local file,
but she wants Bioconductor -- the instructions for which seem to require
the usual internet access. Does anyone have any troubleshooting
suggestions? (I've never had problems with the internet interface with R,
so I don't even know where to start to try to fix it or even diagnose the
problem). Could a firewall have this effect? Wireless?

Her computer is running version R.2.3.1, on a Windows XP.

Thanks,
Elizabeth Purdom