[R] smoothing splines and degrees of freedom

i.m.s.white i.m.s.white at ed.ac.uk
Fri Jun 30 11:48:23 CEST 2006

Steven,

I cannot vouch for the behaviour of the function smooth.spline(), but
the theoretical answer to your question is yes. If g = Sy is the transformation
from data vector y to spline vector g, the equivalent degrees of freedom are
usually defined as EDF = trace(S), where S is the n x n smoothing matrix:

EDF = sum_i(1/(1+theta*lambda_i)),

where lambda_1 to lambda_n are the eigenvalues of S. Two of these are zero, so

EDF = 2 + sum(1/(1+theta*lambda_i))

the sum now over i=3 to n. Here theta is the smoothing parameter. Setting
theta = 0 (no smoothing) gives EDF=n and produces the interpolating spline.
Setting theta = infty gives EDF=2 and a straight line fit. See either

Green and Silverman, Nonparametric regression and generalized linear models,
(p37), or
Hastie and Tibshirani, Generalized additive models, p52.