[R] inconsistency between anova() and summary() of glmmPQL

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Wed Mar 1 17:53:16 CET 2006

To quote one of my professors, it usually doesn't make sense to ask
questions like `Is variable X significant?'  (Or, sort of more formally,
testing H0: beta_j = 0 vs. H1: beta_j != 0.)  If `X' is the _only_ variable
you will ever consider, then the question can make sense.  Otherwise, you
need more context: what other variables are you putting into the model?

The `inconsistency' you saw is because of difference in context.  The test
you see in summary() adds terms in the model sequentially, so provides tests
of a sequence of nested models.  OTHO, each row in the output of anova() is
comparing two models: the model with all terms (`full model') vs. the one
with all terms except the term being considered (`reduced model').  Which
one is `right' depends on which hypothesis matches your research question.

HTH,
Andy

From: I.Szentirmai