[R] Overfitting in snr (ASSIST)

sdfrost at UCSD.Edu sdfrost at UCSD.Edu
Thu Mar 2 05:58:10 CET 2006

Dear R-Help group,

I'm trying to fit some smoothing spline models using the snr function in the
ASSIST library. My model is the following:

y~log(exp(a0-a1*x)+exp(b0-b1(x)))

where b1(x) is a nonparametric function. It's basically a biexponential decay,
with wiggliness in 'phase 2' decay.

I can easily fit this using regression splines, but I'd like to see how
smoothing splines work in this scenario. I tried to use the snr function, as
follows

snr(y~log(exp(a0-a1*x)+exp(b0-b1(x))),func=list(b1(u)~list(~u,cubic2
(u))),params=list(a0+a1+b0~1),data=mydata,start=list(params=mystart))

This runs happily, but interpolates the data, rather than smoothing it. This
is probably due to some identifiability issues, but I'm not sure how to
parameterize the model to fix this. Any suggestions?

Best wishes
Simon