[R] Plotting FAQ?

Dan Bolser dmb at mrc-dunn.cam.ac.uk
Fri Mar 3 13:13:17 CET 2006

Hi,

Since I started to make some 'final' plots of my data I found that I
have tons of questions related to 'the little things'. Rather than
bother the list with all the questions (ahem), or search the archives
for similar questions and translate the context, I would like to find a
FAQ for plotting in particular (and R programming in general). I know
for sure (searching the list) that my questions have been answered many
times and in many different contexts, however, I can't find any list of
generic (best) solutions to common problems.

For example, (a bit on the 'details' side, but...)

How do I make my y axis labels / names appear horizontally?

How do I put a plot within a plot?

How do I scale the legend text in barplot(...,legend=T)?

How do I generate a legend just like barplot(...,legend=T) using legend()?

How do I give my axis labels a bit more space? (Shift the left/bottom of
the plotting area right/up from the left/bottom of the device area)?

These questions spring to mind because they are problems I am trying to
deal with, I am sure you could imagine loads of more basic plotting
questions.

An FAQ is a great place to archive all the best community knowledge
about what library is good for what functionality and what 'tips &
tricks' have the coolest code.

Where should I look?

Thanks for any help,
Dan.