[R] Remove "gray grid" from levelplot

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan.sarkar at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 01:24:50 CET 2006

On 3/6/06, Martin Sandiford <ms at mcdev.com.au> wrote:
> Hi Jan,
>
> The patch requires a recompile of R.  As I understand it,
> this is a fairly painful experience.  I haven't done it
> myself.
>
> I find that using the pdf() function to open a pdf device
> produces better quality output when printing than saving
> a quartz device from the menu.
>
> It appears that the postscript() and pdf() devices use
> sub-pixel rendering as well, as output shows evidence of gray
> lines on low resolution devices, however, for me, this isn't
> evident on a printer at 1200x1200dpi.
>
> My guess would be that, in general, levelplot is not a great
> function to use if the box size approaches the resolution of
> the underlying device.  The first example in help(levelplot)
> exhibits severe moire patterns on an approx 740x740 quartz or
> x11() device.  When the output from the postscript device is
> printed out, it looks more or less as expected.

740x740 what? I don't see any obvious problems on x11 on Linux.

> If there are more boxes in the levelplot than pixels on the
> device you are plotting to, then in effect you are asking
> the display device to do the averaging of the excess
> boxes for devices that support sub-pixel rendering.

That was my first instinct too, but based on (offlist) screenshots Jan
sent me, that isn't the issue here. I haven't been able reproduce his
results (since I don't have a mac) but the artifacts there are very
similar to what I often see in postscript output. The viewer matters
here, and with gv on Linux, these artifacts are present when
anti-aliasing is turned on, but they go away when AA is turned off.
I.e., anti-aliasing is doing more harm than good. If indeed the quartz
device performs anti-aliasing by default (as your other post
suggests), that would explain the behaviour. If it is possible to turn
of AA, that should help.

In any case, there doesn't seem to be much of an (R) issue here.
Printed output should be fine (since there's no AA involved).
Anti-aliasing distorts the true image in a manner that usually helps
but messes up in this case. That's the trade-off you have to accept if
you decide to use AA.

-Deepayan