[R] Doubly Non-Central F-Distribution

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sat Mar 4 22:08:56 CET 2006

	  I agree that it would be nice to have a doubly non-central F
distribution available, and an exchange on this list from last November
suggested that the singly non-central F may not be that accurate
(http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/05/11/14871.html).  A brief web
search suggested two possible ways to overcome this issue:

	  (1) Paolella & Butler (1999) describe a new algorithm for
"Calculating the Density and Distribution Function of a Singly and
Doubly Noncentral F Random Variable"
(http://fmwww.bc.edu/cef99/papers/Paolella.pdf).  With luck, the authors
might provide the code in a form that might support easy linkage to R.

	  (2) You mentioned Dataplot.  It should be possible to build a gateway
between R and Dataplot or to link R to the DNFPDF Dataplot function
(http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/software/dataplot/refman2/auxillar/dnfpdf.htm).

According to the offical Dataplot web page, "Dataplot is a free,
public-domain, multi-platform (Unix, VMS, Linux, Windows
95/98/ME/XP/NT/2000, etc.) software system"
(http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/software/dataplot).  With luck, the
authors might find some limited time to help in such an effort.

	  I don't have the time to do any of this myself, but if you made
inquiries and tried something, I believe you should be able to find help
from this listserve.

	  Hope this helps.
	  spencer graves