[R] what is scale function? Is it for variable transformation?

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 16:19:50 CET 2006

It will change the coefficients from lm and therefore their t-values but it
will not change the residuals, fitted values, R-squared, F
statistic, etc.  For example, try this:

set.seed(1)
x <- 1:10
y <- x + rnorm(10)
lm0 <- lm(y ~ x) # without scale
lms <- lm(y ~ scale(x)) # with scale
all.equal(fitted(lm0), fitted(lms)) # TRUE

# note what the is the same and what is different
summary(lm0)
summary(lms)

Another use of scale is comparing graphs.

library(tseries)
data(USeconomic)
ts.plot(scale(USeconomic), col = 1:4)
# compare with