[R] how-to: installing R on Knoppix

charles loboz charles_loboz at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 6 01:25:19 CET 2006

After some sleep and with clearer head I'd better
explain the background of my posting.
Going back to UNIX from Win I spent whole day trying
out various distros from available CDs (no time to
dowload the stuff). Knoppix was the last one and the
cutest. So I decided to put R on it. The other part
was trying to establish (my hobby) how an old laptop
with nonexpandable memory and limited disk space can
be revitilized. This is why the R part of the test was
so ... contradictory in nature...

I grabbed whatever was available and tried to check
out how did UNIX change in the last 10 years :-) - and
it did a lot.

This is why I did not  looked through R mailings
before embarking on that - apologies for posting
something already known. That mail was just a summary
of a long evening of testing. Still - I am not totally
repentant, because I got the Quantian thing out of
your answers - didn't run into it before - so many
thanks for that. [I use  R to process computer
performance logs in batch mode, stats are simple there
and all are in the R core].

Some other things I noticed - W2K
 I had to remove Win2K from that laptop. Before that I
managed to drop memory usage there to 43mb after
startup by disabling unused services, startups etc
(this laptop is not networked nor internettable). DSL
used (displayed) 30mb after startup. That was rather
surprising to me - always thought of W2K as a big
operating system, yet difference in memory with DSL
was only 12 mb. Naturally, some of that could have
been caused by different default size of the system
cache for both OSes, but I did not analyse it.

Debian. We just got the info that my paid job moves me
to RedHat (EL/AS) (because of hosting support) so it
looks like I won't be continuing with that
experimenting for a while. It was fun and I did learn
something about package managers on LINUX. Having said
that - something tells me that I may try this weekend
to try to install R on DSL 2.2. Any pointers welcomed
:-)

P.S. Can I use apt-get from Windows? Only Win at home.
Need to buy another computer next week...

P.P.S. I had a look at your site - amazing work to put
all that stuff in one big release. And on Knoppix :-)
too!