[R] How to solve lazy-loading faiolure for pkg gstat - was (disable lazy-loading in install.packages() ?)

Ulrich Leopold uleopold at science.uva.nl
Tue Mar 7 10:44:36 CET 2006

Because I get the follwoing message:

** R
** data
** demo
** inst
** preparing package for lazy loading
Error in loadNamespace(i, c(lib.loc, .libPaths()), keep.source) :
        there is no package called 'sp'
Execution halted
ERROR: lazy loading failed for package 'gstat'
** Removing '/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/gstat'
** Restoring previous '/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/gstat'

I do not know how to solve it other than disabling lazy-loading. But maybe I
can re-phrase my question to:

How to solve lazy-loading failure for installation of package gstat under

> R.version
         _
platform i486-pc-linux-gnu
arch     i486
os       linux-gnu
system   i486, linux-gnu
status
major    2
minor    1.1
year     2005
month    06
day      20
language R

?

Any suggestions welcome.

On Tue, March 7, 2006 10:29, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> Why do you want to?
>
> As from a near-future version of R, you will not be able to do this via R
> CMD INSTALL.  The recommended place to specify this is in the packages'
> DESCRIPTION files, and why do you think you know better than the packages'
> authors?  (Quite a few packages will not work with it turned off.)
>
> On Tue, 7 Mar 2006, Ulrich Leopold wrote:
>
>>> R.version
>>         _
>> platform i486-pc-linux-gnu
>> arch     i486
>> os       linux-gnu
>> system   i486, linux-gnu
>> status
>> major    2
>> minor    1.1
>> year     2005
>> month    06
>> day      20
>> language R
>>

>> Dear list,
>>
>> how can I disable lazy-loading in 'install.packages("some packages")'?
>>
>> I know of the possiblity to switch it off with 'R CMD INSTALL'. But I do not
>> want to leave R on several machines and download the source code and install
>> it with 'R CMD INSTALL'.
>>
>> Is there a way of disabling it within an R session?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ulrich
>
> --

Ulrich Leopold MSc.

Dep. Phys. Geography and Soil Science
Inst. for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics
Faculty of Science
University of Amsterdam
Nieuwe Achtergracht 166
NL-1018 WV Amsterdam

Phone: +31-(0)20-525-7456 (7451 Sectretary)
Fax:   +31-(0)20-525-7431
Email: uleopold at science.uva.nl
http://www.science.uva.nl/ibed/cbpg/index.html