[R] breslow estimator for cumulative hazard function

Christos Hatzis christos at silicoinsights.com
Tue Mar 7 16:12:34 CET 2006

The function 'basehaz' computes the predicted survivor function for a Cox
prop hazards model centered (at the average values of the covariates) or
non-centered (at zero level of covariates).

As far as the estimator used, basehaz defaults to the Nelson-Aalen estimate
of the cumulative hazard with a Breslow-type estimate of survival.
Alternatively, a K-M estimator for the cumulative hazard can be selected.

See ?basehaz for details.

In your example, you could do something like this:

bh <- basehaz(fit, centered=TRUE)
require("lattice")
xyplot(hazard ~ time | strata, data=ALLDPinfectionandbronchitis)

-Christos

Christos Hatzis, Ph.D.
Vice President, Technology
Nuvera Biosciences, Inc.