[R] Debugging a program written in the R language

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Wed Mar 8 22:25:02 CET 2006

Firstly, some corrections:

- It's best to write code as functions in R, just like most sensible
languages.  You can then debug the functions.

- (X)Emacs has versions for Windows.  Prof. John Fox has kindly made
available some instructions on how Xemacs/ESS can be set up on Windows.

Now, Roger Peng has kindly made available a note on debugging R code:
http://www.biostat.jhsph.edu/~rpeng/docs/R-debug-tools.pdf

Also, for compiled code linked to R, Duncan Murdoch's notes will be helpful:
http://www.stats.uwo.ca/faculty/murdoch/software/debuggingR/

Finally, there's a `debug' package on CRAN with a R News article describing
it.

Andy

From: Thomas L Jones