[R] tcltk loading in R-2.2.1 from src

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Thu Mar 9 21:22:55 CET 2006

Patrice Seyed <apseyed at bu.edu> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Having trouble loading tcltk in R 2.2.1 built from source.
>
> ./configure, make, make check, and make install run ok.
>

>  > library(tcltk)
> Error in firstlib(which.lib.loc, package) :
>         Tcl/Tk support is not available on this system
> Error in library(tcltk) : .First.lib failed for 'tcltk'
>
> even though it is listed in library() output.

Well, the package is there, as a stub to tell you that it doesn't
work....

> I have the same problem even if i compile with options:
> ./configure --with-tcltk --with-tcl-config=/usr/lib/tclConfig.sh
> --with-tk-config=/usr/lib/tkConfig.sh

In both cases, do check the configure output for clues.

> Is there a dep for R 2.2.1 on a specific version of tcl? Any hints on
> this issue appreciated.

Anything later than 8.1 or so should work. Some old versions had bugs
in tclConfig.sh/tkConfig.sh which didn't quite give out enough info to
tell configure where to find the include files and libraries. I'm not
quite sure when that was, but we're up to 8.4.9 now and tcl/tk has a
notoriously slow release cycle, so 8.3.5 sound quite ancient

> running on linux (2.4.21-4) version:

Of which distribution?

> rpm -qa | grep tcl
> tcl-devel-8.3.5-92