[R] Date and Times a la Dalgaard

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at mn.rr.com
Fri Mar 10 05:06:06 CET 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 22:38 -0500, Farrel Buchinsky wrote:
> Does anyone know of a resource for learning the basics of how to manage and
> manipulate dates and times in R? I have been reading "Introductory
> Statistics with R" by Peter Dalgaard which is fantastic. But alas, I could
> find no reference to date and time. I have looked at the reference manual
> but it is particularly unapproachable. So rather than dense technical talk I
> would rather see a dataset, several arguments and commentary of what is
> happening. The alternative to is to make Excel or Microsoft Access handle
> all the date and time work (I have had about 16 years experience with how to
> calculate and handle date and time in those programs) and then use RODBC to
> read it.

You might want to look at the following articles from R News:

  author       = {Brian D. Ripley and Kurt Hornik},
  title	       = {Date-Time Classes},
  journal      = {R News},
  year	       = 2001,
  volume       = 1,
  number       = 2,
  pages	       = {8--11},
  month	       = {June},
  url	       = {http://CRAN.R-project.org/doc/Rnews/}

  author       = {Gabor Grothendieck and Thomas Petzoldt},
  title	       = {R Help Desk: Date and Time Classes in {R}},
  journal      = {R News},
  year	       = 2004,
  volume       = 4,
  number       = 1,