[R] 2nd R console?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Mar 10 08:29:38 CET 2006

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006, Thomas Lumley wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Mar 2006, mark garey wrote:
>
>> hello all, i'm forwarding this question for a colleague.
>>
>> "Is it possible to open a 2nd R Console?"
>
> The answer is probably "No", but since it isn't clear what your colleague
> means by "a 2nd R Console" or what OS this is, it's hard to be sure.

I would say the answer is almost certainly 'yes'.  In all the cases I know
of if you launch 2 (or more) R consoles you will get separate R processes
with separate workspaces.  The only problem I can envisage is that they
might share a working directory and so the last one shut down could
overwrite the workspace image and history saved from other consoles.
(But that is only a problem if you save your work that way, and I rarely
do.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk