[R] [Re: tcltk loading in R-2.2.1 from src]

Patrice Seyed apseyed at bu.edu
Fri Mar 10 17:11:45 CET 2006

Hi,

I believe configure was not finding tk.h, because tk-devel rpm was not
available on the given host. Thanks Erik and Peter for the suggestions
on checking tk.h and stdout of ./configure.

Just one further question for Peter>

"Well, the package is there, as a stub to tell you that it doesn't
work...."

So then how can you confirm from the library() output (or elsewhere) if the package is
actually installed vs. just a stub (to tell you it doesn't work)?

Thank you,
Patrice

Erik Iverson wrote:
> Patrice -
>
> I had a very similar problem using TCL/TK 8.3.
> Below is the email I sent to my computing group at work about how I
> fixed it.  Note that since my TCL/TK header (.h) files were in an odd
> location, the first step probably isn't relevant for you.  But I bet
> the second step is.

> I believe I have found the solution to this problem.  There were 2
> steps I took to get a build of R in my home directory that properly
> uses Tcl/Tk 8.3 under Linux.
>
> The first was setting an environment variable to let R know where the
> tcl.h and tk.h files reside.  This environment variable was
> TCLTK_CPPFLAGS and is set to -I/s/include .  This can bet set in the
> config.site in R's build directory also.

tcl.h resides in /usr/include, but tk.h does not exist in its relevant
rpm (tk-8.3.5-92).

--
Patrice Seyed
Linux System Administrator - LinGA