[R] install.packages saying the car package is not in therepositories

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Mar 11 01:35:20 CET 2006

On 10 March 2006 at 19:14, Jeremy Morris wrote:
| > Please re-read the entire message I sent you yesterday as it already
| > answered this question. (Hint: The answer is in the R FAQ too.)
|
| I couldn't find anything on the R FAQ's mentioning Debian
| specifically.  And a simple search for 'upgrade' in the FAQ also

Odd -- dumping the lynx output through grep reveals several finds of Debian
or debian:

edd at basebud:~> lynx -dump http://cran.us.r-project.org/doc/FAQ/R-FAQ.html | grep -i debian
   [80]http://buildd.debian.org/build.php?&pkg=r-base), and x86_64 CPUs,
     Debian    i386   stable/oldstable     Christian Steigies
   Debian packages, maintained by Dirk Eddelbuettel and Doug Bates, have
   long been part of the Debian distribution, and can be accessed through
   APT, the Debian package maintenance tool. Use e.g. apt-get install
     deb http://cran.R-project.org/bin/linux/debian stable/
   libreadline-dev (Debian) or readline-devel (Red Hat).
  80. http://buildd.debian.org/build.php?&pkg=r-base
edd at basebud:~>

| turned up nothing.  I even used Google to search for a way to upgrade
| R using CRAN, with no relevant results.  After a little bit of
| searching around the CRAN site I found this :
|
| http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian/README
|
| Which was all the information I needed.  Thanks for all the help.

My pleasure.

Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison