[R] Optimal platform for R

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Sat Mar 11 01:53:31 CET 2006

I've found memory management sometimes problematic under Windows.
I've  a calculation that runs without difficulty in 512MB under Mac OS X
(10.3 or 10.4); I'd expect the same under Linux.  Under Windows
(XP professional) with 512MB, it requires a freshly booted system.
But maybe the new machines will have so much memory that memory
management will not be an issue.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Mathematical Sciences Institute, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.