[R] ESS, transcripts, and such

A.J. Rossini blindglobe at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 15:19:22 CET 2006

> From: Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca>
> To: ramasamy at cancer.org.uk
> Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 08:33:09 -0500
> Subject: Re: [R] To improve my understanding of workspaces
> Other than Emacs, I use the same work habits as Adai.  An advantage of
> this workflow is that almost everything is stored in text format, so it
> is easy to compare different versions to see what has changed, and it
> works very well with version control (I use Subversion).
>
> The only thing I'd add to his recommendation is that you be sure to save
> the scripts that produced the objects in the binary images (his
> "lala.rda"), so that they can be reconstructed if necessary.  As long as
> the reconstruction isn't too difficult, this means I don't need to
> bother to save them in Subversion.

Agree with everything that Duncan said, except that I use bzr or darcs
instead of subversion, and of course, ESS/Emacs.

One nice thing about ESS/Emacs is that it will "clean" a transcript
buffer.  So if you are working in the inferior process buffer (where
you shouldn't be, but that's for another day), then you can write it
to disk as a transcript file, and "clean" it into a script.

best,
-tony