[R] Optimal platform for R

gwelleni at bidmc.harvard.edu gwelleni at bidmc.harvard.edu
Sat Mar 11 19:20:58 CET 2006

> John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au wrote
> Sat Mar 11 01:53:31 CET 2006
>
> I've found memory management sometimes problematic under Windows.
> I've  a calculation that runs without difficulty in 512MB under Mac OS
> (10.3 or 10.4); I'd expect the same under Linux.  Under Windows
> (XP professional) with 512MB, it requires a freshly booted system.
> But maybe the new machines will have so much memory that memory
> management will not be an issue.

I've been running a lot of generalized additive models on large datasets
(mgvc package;R 2.2.0; Win XP) and I find that the first few models run
much much faster than later models. A reboot seems to make things go
fast again. Simply deleting everything from the root workspace doesn't
help.

Greg

Greg Wellenius
Cardiovascular Epidemiology Research Unit
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
330 Brookline Avenue, Deac 306
Boston, MA 02215