[R] MEMORY limit in R

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Tue Mar 14 03:54:50 CET 2006

heatmap() will do hierarchical clustering with hclust(), and to do that it
needs to compute and store the lower triangular part of the distance matrix,
which has 12626 * 12625 / 2 elements, each elements taking up 8 bytes of
storage.  That works out to about 608MB (and is about the size that R fails
to allocate, according to the error message you got).  If you really want to
do this, make sure you have sufficient memory (I'd say at least 2GB) in the
machine, and make sure you are not storing anything in R that you do not
need for the job.

Also note that even if you have your monitor set to a 1600 x 1200
resolution, it still can only display 1200 pixels vertically.  Can you
really hope to see 12626 different strips?

Andy

From: mark salsburg