[R] bwplot and outlier symbols

Sundar Dorai-Raj sundar.dorai-raj at pdf.com
Tue Mar 14 17:06:47 CET 2006

vincent david wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was just trying to figure out how to beautify the output of my
> bwplot-output. Altogether I figured most of the things out on my own. The
> one thing which puzzles me though are the symbols for the outliers.
>
> I can easily change the form of the median symbol by using "pch"  but I
> don't know how to do this for outliers. Obviously the "outpch" of the
> "bxp"-function is not implemented.
>
> Any clue how to do this? Any documentation reference at hand?
>
> cheers
>
> Vincent

Hi, Vincent,

You need to change the setting for "plot.symbol".

trellis.par.set(theme = col.whitebg()) # not required, but my preference
bwplot(voice.part ~ height, data = singer, xlab = "Height (inches)",
        par.settings = list(plot.symbol = list(pch = 2, col = "blue")))

I'm not sure where this is documented. I figured it out by reading the
code for "panel.bwplot" which shows the settings used to plot the
outlier symbols.

HTH,

--sundar