[R] Maximum likelihood

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Tue Mar 14 18:23:04 CET 2006

Erez Shabo <shaboerez <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying to calculate the Maximum likelihood of individuals to get the
> ancestry.
> I mixd 3 populations 15 generations in proportion of 20% 20% 60% when each
> population
> sorce have diferent genome (0 1 and 2) with frequencies for each one.
> So now i have individuals looks like 0 0 2 1 1 2 0 ..... and i don't now how
> to calculate the
> mle although i try to figure out from the package state4.
> can somebody help me please?

   You haven't given quite enough information for us to help you.
Remember that we're not all geneticists here ... can you give a little
bit more context?  Are you trying to estimate pedigrees, or populations
of origin, or ... ?  Another way to make it clearer would be to present
the code you used to generate the "data" (it sounds like you did this
in R).  (The mle function from stats4 provides a *framework*
for maximum-likelihood estimation; you still need to be able to write down
a function for the likelihood of a given set of parameters.)

  Ben Bolker