[R] Address matching (was R-help Digest, Vol 37, Issue 12)

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Mar 15 19:02:21 CET 2006

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006, Ferran Carrascosa wrote:

> Hi r-users,
>
> I would like to know if R have any solution to the "Address standardization".
> The problem is to classify a database of addresses with the real
> addresses of a streets of Spain. Ideally, I would like to assign
> Postal code, census data and other geographic information.

There are no such built-in databases in R, and commercial solutions are
typically costly. I assume you have addresses, and need a spatial index or
key to associate the addresses with polygon containers like postcodes or
census tracts. If there are not too many and they are all close to each
other, a GPS and a bike are very effective ... Watch out for false
positives in commercial automatic address matching, they may be about 10%
(mostly typing errors in input data, but can be honest errors in the
software).

> If this is not possible I would like to know solutions in R about text
> mining, text classification, distance within text data,...

RSiteSearch("text mining") is quite productive.